Answer the following questions in the simplest form
The Cell Surface
32. Describe the structure of a plasma membrane;
33. Explain the function of the phospholipid bilayer of the plasma membrane;
34. List the various functions of the proteins of the plasma membrane;
35. List three cell adhesion molecules (CAMs) (or plasma membrane junctions) and explain their importance to the cell;
36. Explain the concept of signal transduction (second-messenger system) and discuss its importance in the cell; and
37. Describe the structure and functions of microvilli and cilia.
38. Explain what is meant by a selectively permeable membrane and the fluid mosaic model;
39. Define a gradient and how substances behave along a gradient;
40. Differentiate between passive transport and active transport;
41. List and differentiate among the various passive/active mechanisms for transporting material through the plasma membrane;
42. Define membrane potential and explain the role of sodium/potassium anti-port pump;
43. Define filtration and describe how it differs from other transport processes;
44. Define tonicity and explain its importance;
45. Define isotonic, hypertonic, and hypotonic; and
46. Describe the cause and effects of hydrostatic and osmotic pressure.
47. List the organelles of a cell, describe their structure, and explain their functions;
o Nucleus, rER, golgi apparatus (body), lysosome, sER, and mitochondrion;
48. List three proteins that compose the cytoskeleton and describe their functions; and
49. Give an example of a cell inclusion and explain how inclusions differ from organelles.