1. Double space your paper.
2. Use formal language: do not use I, you, we, slang, or contractions.
3. The first sentence of your opening paragraph should state what you think the articles main argument is and include the article’s full title, the author’s name, and where and when it appeared.
4. After introducing the authors first and last name, only refer to them by their last name.
5. Provide at least two paragraphs of summary.
6. Provide at least one paragraph of critique. 7. Use MLA Style to cite the source.
8. Do not use more than 3 short quotations (1-2 lines). One of the main goals of the assignment is to assess your writing. If you use a lot of quotations from the article, it is difficult more me to assess your writing.
Things I am looking for in this assignment:
1. Accuracy: your summary should be an accurate representation of the article. This may mean reading the article several times and checking your summary against the article.
2. Covering the important points: your summary should provide a full overview of the article’s argument. This means making sure all the important points and supporting evidence is covered in your summary.
3. Balanced critique: be careful not to attack the author. If you think the article made some good points, say that. If you have issues with some of the points made, say what they are and why you found them questionable.
4. Clarity and precision: your writing should be easy to read and understand. The easiest way to achieve this is to write in the most straightforward way possible.
5. Grammar and syntax: your writing should follow basic rules for grammar and syntax.