Each student will write a 4-page essay on American key cultural values as it relates to his
or her life and personal environment: workplace, home, neighborhood, social group, etc.
The essay must discuss individualism and at least 4 to 5 other cultural values from
the list of (1) American values (Williams 1965) and (2) of emerging American values.
This list is provided for you in 2 places: Module 2 and Blackboard Assignments in a
document labeled Explaining American Cultural Values.
Drawing from the concepts of real culture and ideal culture (as defined in the Powerpoint
presentation), include in your discussion of the selected values any inconsistencies and/or
contradictions to the values that you may have observed.
1. The introductory paragraph should include a general description of your
personal environment and should mention the cultural values you will be
discussing in the essay.
2. Following paragraphs may include, but are NOT limited to, a discussion
of your observations/findings, how the cultural values in question
impact you and the people around you, and a discussion of
inconsistencies and contradictions that affect or may affect you and
those around you. Examples of value inconsistencies and contradictions
will be provided in the Powerpoint presentation.
3. Conclusion and wrap-up in the last paragraph. This is an important part of
your paper. What have you learned from doing this essay? Are your
values and the values of the groups you are associated with consistent with
the American ideal? Try to account for and explain deviations from the
4. For this writing assignment, you are allowed to write in the first
person. All other writing assignments are required to be written in the
5. This paper must be typed and double-spaced AND must be at least 4
pages long (minimum 4 full pages; points taken off for short papers). A
title page and/or reference page will not count toward the 4-page
6. An abstract is not required.
7. Standard 1-inch top and bottom margins, and 10 or 12 pt Times New
Roman font must be used.
8. Each writing assignment must be written using the American
Psychological Association (APA) style guidelines for in-text citations and
formatting the references page.