1. Simone Martini and Lippo Memmi, Annunciation, Siena Cathedral, 1333
2. Attributed to Robert Campin, Annunciation panel of the Mrode Altarpiece, c. 1430
How do Simone Martini and Robert Campin envision the Annunciation in similar and different ways?
In your analysis, be sure to discuss:
–What is the subject of the artworks and what narrative is portrayed?
–Formal qualities of both artworks
–Organization of the composition
–How do both artists use symbolism in their paintings?
–Setting of both paintings
–Which painting reflects innovation and which reflects continuity with the past?
Move through the following steps to complete the assignment:
1. Learn about both works of art through research and reading. (We learned about Martini’s painting in Gardner’s Late Medieval Italy chapter.) Be sure to note the academic sources you reference; you’ll submit a works cited list. (See #4)
2. This website may be a useful resource for learning about the symbolism included in both artworks. https://www.christianiconography.info (Links to an external site.)
Use these images to support your research and analysis. You may also use them as visual aids in your recorded analysis.
Annunciation Panel, Merode Altarpiece Images
Artwork Analysis: Simone Martini and Robert Campin
3. Take time to look closely at both artworks and make a list of comparative points (similarities and differences). Organize your list in the format used for the previous assignment (Formal and Art Historical Analysis) on formal and art historical analysis. (You’ll submit your notes for credit.)
4. Include two academic sources in addition to our textbook that you used to learn about the artworks in a works cited list at the bottom of your comparative list. Use APA or MLA style.
5. Refer back to your research and what you learned about both paintings as well as what you noted about their formal qualities to develop the comparative list into a more complete analysis. (Refer back to the content on artwork analysis in previous modules if you need help here.) Decide how you’ll talk through the comparison in order to respond to the prompt.