Complete the worksheet, questions based on Mary’s scenario. The point of this activity is to help us understand the decisions young people make about health insurance.
You can find the slides for the activity here and the worksheet in the slides in the in-class activities folder.
1. How much money does Mary have left over each month to spend on food and other needs or wants? How much money does Mary have left over to put in a savings account?
2. How might Marys financial situation impact her healthy or unhealthy behaviors? (i.e. type of food she buys, how often she exercises, stress levels, etc.)
3. What percentage of Marys income does she spend on health insurance?
4. How might Marys financial situation impact her decision to go to the doctor when she is ill?
5. Mary gets pneumonia and decides to go to the doctor for treatment. The doctor prescribes a preferred medication. Mary misses three days of work. How much does this illness cost Mary?