TITLE OF BILL:
An act to amend the education law, in relation to prohibiting bullying
on school property
This bill defines and prohibits the bullying of students and others on
school property, both conventional and cyberbullying.
Does empirical research in psychology indicate that this law will be helpful or harmful? Your thesis statement will indicate whether you recommend that legislators vote to approve or reject the pending law.
In your paper, you will need to identify at least three empirical articles (original sources) you will use to support your thesis. You will likely have more than three citations in your paper. You can cite the textbook, but (because it is a secondary source) the textbook will not count towards your three required citations. You will need to support your thesis statement using research, not just your opinion! Your paper should clearly:
1) Describe the pending legislation and your thesis statement. (approximately 1 page)
2) The bulk of the paper should support your thesis statement. Why do you recommend that legislators support or reject this law? Use the sources to support your reasoning. Provide a critical analysis of your three relevant sources and explain why they support your recommendation to support or condemn the pending law. For each of the empirical articles, describe the research question tested by the research, describe how the authors tested that question and what they found, the strengths and limitations of their findings, and relate their findings to your thesis statement. Your analysis should be critical. Note the strengths and weaknesses both in the study itself and in its relevance to the case in question. (approximately 3 pages)
3) Analyze the impact of the law on the basis of race, gender, class, sexual orientation, immigration status, ability status, or culture. Has the law disproportionately impacted those of particular races? classes? Does the law protect all marginalized communities? Who does it leave out and why? How might we begin to reconcile this? Your paper must include the impact of the law on at least two groups that are not addressed within the law (e.g., if you consider the Violence Against Women Act then you can possibly consider whether there will be a differential impact on those with varied immigration status and race but gender is already directly addressed by the law and should already be considered in your paper). (approximately 1 page)
4) Include a reference section with the pending legislation on which you based your assignment, the three original sources you selected, along with any other sources you used to complete your assignment.
Your assignment must follow APA formatting including:
1) Size 12 font, preferably Times New Roman
3) Page numbers on top right (header)
4) 1 margins on all four sides (you may have to adjust the default settings)
5) Title page including title of paper, your name, affiliation (college) and course 6) No abstract is necessary for this assignment