Compare and/or contrast two columns created by different cultures (The Palace at Knossos – Minoan Columns and Temple of Hera II – Greek Columns) in a three-paragraph minimum essay. Upload or embed jpeg image(s) of your selections and provide a description of each column and brief background to the history of the building from which it came. How does each column reflect the culture and the time period?
Make sure to include a list of your research sources and sources for your images and to provide critique/responses to your classmates work.
Factors to include in your response:
– Culture/artist (Who produced it?)
– Period/style (When and where was it produced?)
– Function/symbolism/themes (What was its purpose? Why was it produced? What symbolic meaning or message does it convey to the viewer?)
– Physical context (How was it used? How does it relate to its environment? Where was it located?)
– Scale (What size is it?)
– Subject matter (Who or what is the subject? Doesnt apply to architecture.)
– Sacred or secular (Is it religious or non-religious in function and/or subject?)
– Stylistic conventions (abstract/realistic?) What recurring techniques, devices or motifs are used? How are the figures and forms rendered?)
– Cultural context (What was going on historically, socially, politically, and religiously during the period in which it was produced? How does this example relate to its cultural context)