In human services, it is important to understand not only the ethical standards but also how to apply them in a practical manner. They are meant to be a guide that protects both the professional and the client. Having a comprehensive plan is important to the continuing development of the human service professional.
Create a scenario of an ethical dilemma that you have not previously used. It can involve any type of violation against the NOHS Ethical Standards for Human Services Professionals.
Please respond to the following:
1. Describe the case you have chosen, outlining all ethical issues presented by the actions of the human services professional.
2. Discuss how your core values, which you shared in Unit 2, are reflected in your course of action.
3. Analyze the actions in light of your readings and the NOHS Ethical Standards for Human Services Professionals.
4. Outline how you could handle the situation differently.
5. Suggest some ways in which the astute and ethical human service professional can prevent such a situation from developing by being aware and proactive in their practice.
Please read the following chapter in your text:
Chapter 4: Multicultural Perspectives and Diversity Issues
Fok, L., Payne, D., & Corey, C. (2016). Cultural values, utilitarian orientation, and ethical decision making: A comparison of U.S. and Puerto Rican professionals. Journal of Business Ethics, 134(2), 263279.
Letourneau, J. L. H. (2016). A decision-making model for addressing problematic behaviors in counseling students. Counseling & Values, 61(2), 206222.
National Organization for Human Services. (2015). Ethical standards for human services professionals. https://www.nationalhumanservices.org/ethical-standards-for-hs-professionals