Review the following video and follow it carefully as you prepare your assignment.
For this assignment, view the video, which immediately follows. The video explains an exciting new performance appraisal approach where 50% of the appraisal focuses on past performance, and 50% on goal setting for the future. This is a program called Full Cycle Performance which was recently rolled out at the University of North Carolina Wilmington. This system devotes time also to the setting of SMART goals. Unfortunately, many appraisal systems in organizations today do not give enough attention to goal-setting and future goal achievement.
The Full Cycle Performance is adaptable to all organizations.
UNCW Dare to Learn Academy (2016). Full Cycle Performance:
Employee Empowerment Virtual Workshop (for employees). Retrieved
from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gHxEphVZpI. (for SLP 1)
The video listed below is designed for managers and supervisors. It is optional for you to view if you are new to goal-setting.
UNCW Dare to Learn Academy (2016). Full Circle Performance:
Goal Setting and Calibration (for supervisors and managers).
Retrieved from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uyq0B1i_N2s.
(for SLP 1).
(UNCW, for Supervisors/Managers, 2016)
SLP 1 Assignment:
In this assignment, you are asked to prepare a 8 PowerPoint slide presentation, responding to the following:
1. Provide a short introduction to your talk.
2. Follow the golden circle approach (as discussed in the required video on Employee Empowerment above). This video discusses Simon Sineks golden circle approach (2:34 minutes into the video). You should start with the why and describe with passion and purpose the importance of managing human capital in a office.
3. Brainstorm what you might want to include as your own goals. (Include your list either within your talk, or as an extra file.) Consider the following questions and briefly answer them as you prepare your brainstorming list:
a. What can your supervisor do to help you do your job more effectively?
b. How can your supervisor assist in furthering your career growth?
c. What do you feel are going to be your biggest challenges this year?
d. What training, development, or resources do you want/need to be successful?
e. What would you like to say 12 months from now that you currently cannot say? How can your supervisor help?
f. What would you like to accomplish this year?
4. Develop 3-4 Smarter Goals based on your information above and discuss them in your talk. (Be sure to also show your goals in visual form).
5. Provide a short conclusion to your presentation.