This is about the painting “Les Demoiselles d’Avignon” by Picasso.
MAIN THEME: How does the painting and the artist demonstrate innovation, and disruption (to society, the art world, culture, the self)? Is the painting or the artist resistant? If so, what is the work of art/artist resisting and why?
1. Who is the artist, the title, the date, the medium?
2. Are we aware of anything about the artist’s life or personality that may have affected their creation?
3. What is the subject depicted and is it recognizable to you? Do you think it was recognizable to the people during the time in which it was created? Are there any symbols apparent? If so, what are they; are they understandable to you or only to the people in the society in which the painting was made?
4. What are the formal elements of the painting? Are there any lines, shapes, colors, lights or shadows that are particularly important in an analysis? How about space and texture?
5. Do you feel that unity was important to the artist? In other words, is there variety, balance, scale proportion, and rhythm in the work? Is there a particular focal point that catches your eye? What is it, and how did the author emphasize it as a focal point?
6. During which time period and where was the work created? Discuss what was going on in the cultural, political, economic, or social spheres at the time it was produced.