Music Appreciation: Orchestra Suite No. 3 (Movement II: Gavotte) by Johann Sebastian Bach. This is the actual link to Orchestra Suite No. 3 below:
Answer the following questions in complete sentences.
1. What is the overall dynamic level (pp, p, mp, mf, f, ff) of the piece? Does it ever change? How?
2. When? You can mention a timestamp (minutes/seconds) if that helps you.
3. What Italian term would you use to describe the tempo of the piece? Hint – You can use a metronome if you are not sure.
4. Do you think the timbre of this piece is bright or dark? Why?
5. What instruments do you hear? You may need to look back at the list of instruments in the Baroque orchestra or do some research about the sounds of these instruments to help you listen for them.
6. Do you think the texture is monophonic, homophonic, or polyphonic? Explain why you chose your answer.