Choose a book of your choice. The book should talk about food, nutrition, and culture. The Book Report is a writing assignment. It is an opportunity for you to show your reading comprehension and writing skill using a very interesting and informative book. First, I want a clear and coherent summary of the issues presented in each chapter; One to two sentences may be enough if there are many chapters.
List of books to choose from:
1. Bound to the fire: How Virginia’s enslaved cooks helped invent American cuisine – Kelley Fanto deetz
2. The Taste of Empire: How Britain’s Quest for Food Shaped the Modern World – Lizzie Collingham
3. The Sioux Chef’s Indigenous Kitchen Sean Sherman, Beth Dooley
4.The Cooking Gene: A Journey Through African American Culinary History in the Old South Hardcover Michael W. Twitty
5.The Seven Culinary Wonders of the World: A History of Honey, Salt, Chile, Pork, Rice, Cacao, and Tomato Hardcover Jenny Linford, Alice Pattullo
6. Hippie Food: How Back-to-the-Landers, Longhairs, and Revolutionaries Changed the Way We Eat Hardcover Jonathan Kauffman
7.The Original Mediterranean Cuisine: Medieval Recipes for Today. Second edition. Sheffield, UK; Bristol, CT: Equinox Publishing Ltd.
8. Fantasia, Rick. 2018. French Gastronomy and the Magic of Americanism. Politics, History, and Social Change. Philadelphia: Temple University Press.
9. Crane, Jonathan K. 2018. Eating Ethically: Religion and Science for a Better Diet. New York: Columbia University Press.
10. Muckenhoupt, Meg. 2018. Cabbage: A Global History. Reaktion Books.
11.Nystrom, Justin A. 2018. Creole Italian: Sicilian Immigrants and the Shaping of New Orleans Food Culture. Southern Foodways Alliance: Studies in Culture, People, and Place. Athens: The University of Georgia Press.
12. Hassibi, Saman, and Amir Sayadabdi, trans. 2018. A Persian Cookbook: The Manual by Bavarchi. Prospect Books.
13. Arnold, Bruce Makoto, Tanfer Emin-Tunc, and Raymond Douglas Chong, eds. 2018. Chop Suey and Sushi from Sea to Shining Sea: Chinese and Japanese Restaurants in the United States. Food and Foodways Series. Fayetteville: The University of Arkansas Press.
14. Bhushi, Kiranmayi, ed. 2017. Farm to Fingers: The Culture and Politics of Food in Contemporary India. New York: Cambridge University Press.
15. Isin, Priscilla Mary. 2018. Bountiful Empire: A History of Ottoman Cuisine. Reaktion Books.
16. Armanios, Febe, and Boa A. Ergene. 2018. Halal Food: A History. New York, NY: Oxford University Press.
17. Stalker, Nancy K., ed. 2018. Devouring Japan: Global Perspectives on Japanese Culinary Identity. New York, NY: Oxford University Press.
18. Eighmey, Rae Katherine. 2018. Stirring the Pot with Benjamin Franklin: A Founding Fathers Culinary Adventures. Washington, DC: Smithsonian Books.
19. Dalby, Andrew, and Rachel Dalby. 2017. Gifts of the Gods: A History of Food in Greece. Reaktion Books, Limited.
20. McIver, Katherine A. 2017. Kitchens, Cooking, and Eating in Medieval Italy. Lanham: Rowman & Littlefield.
21. Moreno, Maria Paz. 2017. Madrid: A Culinary History. Lanham: Rowman & Littlefield Publishers.
22. Padoongpatt, Mark. 2017. Flavors of Empire: Food and the Making of Thai America. American Crossroads. Oakland, California: University of California Press.
23. Oxfeld, Ellen. 2017. Bitter and Sweet: Food, Meaning, and Modernity in Rural China. California Studies in Food and Culture 63. Oakland, California: University of California Press.
24.Shinichiro Ogata. 2017. JIKIFU: A Japanese Aesthetics of Taste. Tokyo: University of Tokyo Press.
25. Altamiras, Juan, and Vicky Hayward. 2017. New Art of Cookery: A Spanish Friars Kitchen Notebook. Lanham: Rowman & Littlefield.
26. Sen, Colleen Taylor. 2015. Feasts and Fasts: A History of Food in India. Foods and Nations. London, UK: Reaktion Books.
27. Hayden, Brian. 2016. Feasting in Southeast Asia. Honolulu: University of Hawaii Press.
28. Von Hoffmann, Viktoria. 2016. From Gluttony to Enlightenment: The World of Taste in Early Modern Europe. Studies in Sensory History. Urbana, IL: University of Illinois Press.
29. Grasseni, Cristina. 2016. The Heritage Arena: Reinventing Cheese in the Italian Alps. Food, Nutrition, and Culture, v. 8. New York: Berghahn Books.