Directions: Follow the steps below in the order listed, consult with your instructor for clarification.
Step 1 – review the Personal and Professional Wellness informational packet
Step 2 – complete the NWI Wellness Focus Survey Tool and the Wholeness Reflection Exercise (save the results)
Step 3 – respond to the questions below in narrative format, bullet points can be combined with a narrative in #s 4-8.
1. Understanding Wellness. In your own words, describe how the concept of wellness is integrated in the counseling profession. The response should include the basic meaning of a wellness lifestyle and the four beliefs that are foundational to counseling regarding helping others with their mental health concerns.
2. Wellness Models. Two wellness-oriented models were explored, in your own words identify the model you align best with, describe it including all the parts and how they work together, and finally why this model parallels your views.
3. Related Wellness Terms. In your own words, describe the terms distressed, burn out, and impairment as they relate to the counseling profession. Also, describe how they are interrelated.
4. ACA Code of Ethics and Wellness. Identify the three standards in the ACA Code of Ethics that refers to counselor impairment. In your own words (as much as possible), provide a summary of each standard.
5. Wellness Evaluation and Plan. Describe your results from the National Wellness Institute Wellness Focus Survey Tool and the Wholeness Reflection Exercise. You can separate or combine your results of both assessments in your narrative, but the following should be included for each:
A. Wellness Focus Survey Tool – Identify which dimensions were strengths and why? If they are strengths, then identify the regular actions you are currently participating in to keep this dimension strong. Identify which dimension needs growth and why? For each growth dimension, identify at least 2 self-care strategies that could be implemented regularly to strengthen the dimension. A list of potential self-care strategies was provided in the Personal and Professional Wellness packet and/or create your own.
B. Wholeness Reflection Exercise – Describe your insights and plans from steps 2, 3 and 4.
6. Counselor Risk Factors. Several risk factors were identified that increase a counselors susceptibleness towards impairment. Identify 3 that were especially relevant to you and explain why. A list of personal and professional self-care strategies was provided in the Personal and Professional Wellness packet (or create your own). For each risk factor you noted, identify 1 self-care strategy to implement to mediate the risk; explain how the strategy will help.
7. Counselor Warning Signs. Several warning signs were identified for professional impairment. Identify at least 3 that were especially relevant to you and explain why. A list of potential personal and professional self-care strategies was provided in the Personal and Professional Wellness packet (or create your own). For each warning sign you noted, identify 1 self-care strategy to implement to mediate the issue; explain how the strategy will help.